I could probably list more than 100 reasons as to why Thailand is one of the most amazing places in the world. Pristine beaches, an abundance of culture, and plenty of opportunity for adventure are only some of the reasons this gorgeous “land of smiles” has become one of my most treasured travel destinations.
This magical place is truly a must-see that you must experience yourself in order to understand. Here are my top five experiences in Thailand to add to your bucket-list-if you can survive the ~24 hour flight.
- Get a one-hour oil massage on the beach for $6.00: Thailand is a newly industrialized country, which means the exchange rate in unbelievable (for every $1.00 in USD I received ~38 Bhat). However, just because our dollar is stronger than Thai currency does not mean that Thailand isn’t pretty advanced- it does not fall short of posh clubs and beach bars, chic hotels, and taxis that will drive you just about anywhere. It just means that all of these luxuries come at a price that will make you feel like you’re a king.
- Snorkel the South Pacific: Thailand has some of the cleanest and clearest waters in the world. Take advantage of the natural beauty by going on a snorkel tour to interact with the wide array of marine life. It’s absolutely breathtaking and most tours include all day excursions with provided lunch, sightseeing, swimming, kayaking, and hiking.
- Ride an Elephant: Animal interactions are abundant in Thailand. While I don’t condone visiting animal camps where animals are treated poorly in order to entertain tourists, there are plenty of animal sanctuaries that are dedicated to protecting these beautiful creatures and will let you wash, feed, and ride elephants in their natural habitats.
- Ride an ATV through the Jungle: For those of you who prefer land to sea, I definitely recommend getting on an ATV jungle tour. Get down and dirty in the jungle while zipping through the exciting terrains of Thailand.
- Attend a Full Moon Party: Every month during-you guessed it-the full moon; the Thai people shut down the entire island of Ko Pha Ngan to host a huge party. Thousands of people from all over the world crowd the streets and bars. Vendors line the sides of the road with body paint stands, street foods, and beverages. Stages line the beach about every 20 feet with DJs playing familiar music. It is the most incredible feeling in the world to dance with thousands of strangers from across the universe and be united together by music. It’s one of the most unforgettable experiences in my life and I hope that one day it will be one of yours, too.